As a member, our chapter offers you a number of benefits that include:
- Professional Membership — Improve your professional status by joining one of the nation’s most recognized professional organizations. Not only will you benefit from the prestige of the TV Academy, you will receive enhanced credibility, opportunities to participate in educational and networking events, and experience for your resume.
- Emmy® Awards – The Chicago/Midwest Regional Emmy® Awards are presented annually for outstanding achievements in broadcasting. As a member, you receive a discount on entry fees, event tickets, and statuettes, and a chance to recognize your personal excellence by entering your best work. The 62nd Chicago/Midwest Emmy Awards will take place in the fall of 2020. Our annual Emmy® nominations party is one of the best networking events in the city to meet members from all areas of the television industry. You’ll also have a chance to evaluate your peer’s work from around the nation. An opportunity to discover television techniques from other regions!
- Silver Circle Awards Program – Each year, the TV Academy recognizes outstanding individuals who have devoted 25 years or more to the television industry and have made significant contributions to the Chicago and Wisconsin regions. Members receive a discount to attend these events. This year’s Chicago event will be held on May 8, 2020. This year’s honorees are: Jackie Bange, Rich Bernal, Mark Giangreco, Alan Krashesky, Marda LeBeau, Jennifer Lyons, and posthumously Marlin Perkins, Lynn Hauldren, Jack and Elaine Mulqueen.
- Invitations to Online Seminars/Workshops – Learn about new techniques from your colleagues. Free workshops include the annual Career Day, which will be held in April 2020 at Columbia College. In the past, workshops have included a Media Archiving workshop, a Newsroom Ethics panel, and a seminar entitled, Make Chicago Your Film Set. We will also held a Google Tools workshop in conjunction with the Society of Professional Journalists. Taught by SPJ digital trainer and former A. Times reporter Mike Reilly, the workshop provided valuable instruction on how to use Google programs such as Earth Studio, Timelapse, Dataset Search, Flourish, and Tabula in the newsroom. Have an idea for a workshop? Let us know.
- Movie Passes – Two FREE passes for many preview screenings of major motion pictures. Films shown in 2018-2020 films included: The Rhythm Project, Richard Jewell, JoJo Rabbit, Two Popes, The Good Liar, The Upside, The Last Summer, Dolemite is My Name; Solo, Final Act, Crazy Rich Asians, The Wife (with Glenn Close and Christian Slater present for Q&A); A Private War (with director/star present); Everybody Knows; and LBJ. Have you received a movie notice recently? If not, our emails may be going into a spam folder. Please check!
- Discount on Video Transfer Services: Need to get rid of those old boxes of videotapes? Media Burn is offering members a discount on digitizing your content. Receive the first two hours of digitization services free (minimum order of five hours) and 10% off the entire service. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Job Bank: Access to post “job listings” and “jobs wanted” on the TV Academy Job Bank. Job Bank is a comprehensive job listing service sponsored by the National Academy, the Chicago/Midwest Chapter, and 19 other chapters nationwide. It’s the largest and fastest growing of all the television industry related job banks. With over 13,000 members, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is the single largest television professional association in the world. See an instruction booklet to get you started @ tinyurl.com/jobbanktv.
- Exclusive Invitations to Industry Professional Lectures – Listen to industry legends tell their stories at private luncheons not open to the public. Past luncheons speakers included: Andy Cohen, Norman Lear, Hank Paulson, Jeremy Roenick, Tom Brokaw, Tim Gunn, Cokie Roberts, Jane Pauley, Phil Jackson, Ken Burns, Jim Lehrer, Scott Simon, Mario Batali, Angelica Huston, Herbie Hancock, Marlo Thomas, and Susan Lucci.
And our Chapter helps to support:
- Scholarships – We give scholarships to encourage the best students coming into our industry. Each year, we award up to nine scholarships valued from $2,500 to $5,000 with deadlines in February and March. We are one of the strongest chapters in the nation in regard to funds distributed (over $500,000 since the 1990s). To donate, please go to chicagoemmyonline.org/ students/donate. Donations are tax deductible.